The poster-boy of late 20th century change, Newgate Lane has gone from a little track to a chaotic through-route. It was designated the catchy administrative title B3385 in 1935.
The route starts at the strange flyover junction. This used to be a simple fork with Gosport Road, roughly where the southbound carriageway diverges today. To the west was Cams Alders and in the middle were two properties called Black House, which became Cams Cottages.
The end of the Eastleigh to Gosport railway crossed the road with a narrow arch, and six terraces called Married Quarters were built in the 1920s.
In 1986 the strange gyratory system was introduced by building a new Newgate Lane, which flew over the top, crossed the railway and then met the old Newgate Lane - now Palmerston Drive - before rejoining its main course. Those who remember the old railway bridge will know it was very narrow, which showed us how wide Newgate Lane used to be.
Level crossings had started to be phased out in the 1960s, and were later banned completely. The new level crossing here was therefore probably one of the last level crossings to be built in the UK. By this point the railway was only being used to serve the depot at Bedenham so it was justified by its very little use.
These services stopped in 1991, but it still appeared to be maintained until 2008. It's not clear how much use it ever saw.
In 2012 the railway was removed and converted into the busway, Henry Cort Way. This saw the old railway lowered.
In the 1920s two more properties were built at Fort House. These were demolished as part of the 1986 works.
The retail parks and Newgate Lane Industrial Estate started to appear in 1972. Buildings called Newgate Cottage and New Bungalows were demolished to make way for this.
Lots has been written about Fareham's forts elsewhere, but I am intrigued by the fact Fort Fareham was designated for use as a shelter for chosen council staff in the event of a Cold War nuclear attack.
Longfield Avenue was already substantially built by 1952. It was extended westwards, but the eastwardsf extension took until the 1980s to materialise.
The retail parks at Collingwood and Speedfields were built in the late 1980s. Asda was one of the first stores to open, in 1988, followed by the B&M/Focus building. Since the motorway opened there had been plans for hundreds of retail parks across Hampshire, with the these two forming one of the biggest. Sandy's Bungalow became a building called Speedfields.
There were accesses to HMS Collingwood along Hector Road and Royal Sovereign Avenue. Before Collingwood there was a farm called Mettles Barn.
The next section down to Peel Common had playing fields on the right and a string of cottages to the left. Sights along the way incuded Peel Farm, The Brickworks, Hope Cottage, Stubbington Corn Windmill. Woodcot Lane and Brooker Lane went through to Woodcot Farm and Brookers Farm which eventually became part of Woodcot and Bridgemary.
The Stubbington Gosport Road existed to the west only - to the east was a floodplain until Rowner Road was built in the 1950s. Instead, Newgate Lane gave way at a crossroads, becoming the large roundabout in the 1980s.
Of course this was all substantially changed in the 2010s, with Newgate Lane getting a re-alignment and widening past the retail parks. It's not a surprise this is badly needed, given the number of new developments and the few changes to the road which had occured before then.