Much of the length of the River Wallington carried a shoreline with the road along it appropriately enough named Wallington Shore Road. The concept of a shoreline seems somewhat ridiculous now most of it is marshland, diverted or home to a flyover, but the river was once much wider and deeper than it is known for today.
The start of the road has too been consumed by modern road changes, and can now only be seen as a slight kink in the road and a conspicuous change of name to Cams Hill. This would have been the Delme Arms crossroads - named after the pub which still stands on the corner - with the road opposite leading to Cams Hall.
This is the start of the shoreline - although it is all reclaimed land now. Around the back of the pub was a gravel pit which became Charlemont, and a 19th century property. Additional properties were added in the 1980s, including one with windows opening out on to the railway viaduct.
After the viaduct, Pinks Hill was added in the 19th Century to provide access to the fortresses on Wallington Military Lane, roads all owned by the Borough Council. It now plugs in to one of the sliproads towards J11, the Delme Flyover for which was opened in 1976 in what was mostly unused space, although some of the car park for the Roundabout Hotel was used too.
The Roundabout Hotel itself was was built in 1907 (replacing a building from 1867) as St Edith's House For Girls, where young women (ages 14-16) were trained in domestic duties. This became the Church of England's Childrens Home, before being purchased for use as a hotel.
The Wallington Pottery was situated part-way up the hill, it closed at the end of the 19th century and its site is now home to a business park, now accessed from Waterside Gardens which was part of a 1960s expansion on to the hill.
The next section of road is characterised by the long brick wall holding back the gardens of the houses on the hill. This marks the boundary of Wallington House, one of the many grand houses which originally made up Fareham. It stood there until the 1960s.
East Hill Close is built on a trackway to the East Hill Farm, one of a few facilities on Wallington Military Road which took their name from Wallington's hill in the wider context of Fareham compared to, for instance North Hill. The hill was once home to the East Hill Nursery. At the bottom were two lodges.
These estates were all built at the same time, although note that each house is either accessed through Waterside Gardens or East Hill Close, never either nor both, a symptom of 1970s 'corridor' planning.
Here the road bends sharply inline as we reach the end of the creek, difficult to see now the majority of it was changed for the embankments to Wallington Way. The white house on the bend, from 1832 and known as Wallington Cottage, was deliberately built half way up the hill to keep it away from the floods, and is now known as Lowlands.
Delme Drive was the driveway to Wallington Lodge, the large house which is still at the top of the road, also accessible from Wallington Drift Road. There was a lodge at the bottom, number 35. Radclyffe Road was added in the 1950s, as was Whitehaven, which was joined by further properties. 2 Delme Drive was older than the two properties either side of it.
Along the south side of Wallington Road was marshy land marked "prone to flooding". In the 1920s, six properties were added, named River Side, River View, Rusbly, Park View, Lyndhurst and Slimdon. Four terraces followed in the 1940s. These were all built on steps.
To the east of the footpath up to Drift Road was a nest of cottages, numbers 18 to 32. These were all demolished in the 1950s, but a similar set on the opposite side survives to this day.
Numbers 63 to 70 filled the land on the south side of the road in the 1950s. Around the same time, numbers 3, 4 and 5 were demolished to become the pub car park.
The final building is the Cob & Pen pub. Formally the Fort Wallington Tavern with its rear riding stables, this pub was renamed in 1984 and stands at the corner of the junction at the end of the road.