Over the course of time Fareham has gradually shifted west, helped by the opening of the first railway line.
As this happened, the Trinity Street/Park Lane route became increasingly useful for heading north towards London. Initially it served as a less comfortable route which avoided paying the North Road Turnpike, and in 1815 efforts were made to remove the public right of way.
Named after the Holy Trinity Church, the street is home to many houses which were converted to shops as the town grew, and then struggled to attract trade after the shopping centre opened, only to eventually be demolished all together. The Good Intent has at least survived, while many other buildings were re-built in the 2000s.
Bastard Place exists to serve a row of houses called Meadow Terrace. The street was renamed to become the less hostile Russel Place.
The site of Trinity Brewery was split into The Fareham pub (with its sawdust floor) and, in 1998, the Garden of Reflection, opened in memory of Princess Diana. The court house moved here in the 1940s, replacing a single property.
In 1959 the extension through to Osborn Road opened. The chip shop by the youth centre was called Trinity Fisheries, later Jack's Chippy and then Skipper's. Other shops southwards on the same side of the road included Husseys, Jim Sandy's Driving school that used to publish their success rate in the window and Mills Fruit and veg shop. A row of houses called Prospect Place became the car park at the same time, and a nursery became a depot.
Across the junction with Colenso Road (added in the early 1900s), the road opens up and becomes Park Lane - previously Puxol Lane, until the 1920s. Bloomfield House was cleared at the start of the 20th Century to make Northwood House, in the 1980s this was expanded in to a series of lodges and Darren Court.
Park Lane recreation ground was first marked as such in 1932, which is also the first map showing the new street name. This only applied to the lower section around the three tennis courts, with the boundary being a footpath running diagonally along. Most of this can still be seen with the trees along it, although some of it had to be diverted around the leisure centre. Additional tennis courts, a pavilion and a playground were later added.
The designation of the park as a public recreation ground followed the sale of Uplands House at the top of the road, and its land being broken up.
In the 1980s Fareham College briefly set up on the west side on land which had been left over from the sale, which was redeveloped to become Fareham Leisure Centre. On the right was an allotment garden which became a school playing field. Children from local schools were encouraged to raise money for the highly-demanded new swimming pool in the leisure centre, but by the time it had been processed, inflation meant it could only fund a small child's pool, which still exists at the leisure centre today and used to have a plaque thanking the residents for their contribution.
In 1907 Price's School, once a gift to the town from William Price, moved to the eastern side of Park Lane for more room. With its academic reputation declining and more schools opening nearby, Price's Charity School was demolished in 1989. The playing fields saved and went on to become William Price Gardens.
There was another pathway running across what's now the car park, which had a pond next to it.
A few houses started to appear in the 1930s, but most of them arrived in the late 1940s. This area would prove to be extremely useful for selling when Fareham wanted to expand its population. The line of the trees gives an indication as to where the road would have met fields. The entrance to Maylings Farm required a property to be demolished.
Serpentine Road was another one of these, initially only a footpath joined here, but things were changed and it became a full road. South of Serpentine, all the houses on the east side were named.
By the crossroads with North Hill is a driveway to Uplands House. Another footpath had been added and was re-routed around the newer houses. The house itself and its driveway survives as a carehome.